You can use a Chromebox device to run a Hoopla Channel on a TV, rather than having a dedicated Mac or Windows PC connected to each display. This low-cost solution is an easy way to deploy Hoopla across many TVs in your office. There are two options for how to display your channel. For the best performance and stability, we recommend using device management from Google.
Display Using Chrome Browser
You can display Hoopla using the Chrome browser, just as you would on a Mac or PC. To do so, launch Chrome normally and follow the steps in this article.
Centrally Manage Device from your Google Suite Application
Step 1: Chrome Device License
To manage Chrome devices across your organization, you need a license for each device you want to manage. If you try to enroll your Chromebox and don’t have enough licenses, you will see an error message.
Step 2: Manually enroll Chrome device
- Turn on the Chrome device and follow the onscreen instructions until you see the sign-in screen. Don't sign in yet.
- Before signing in to the Chrome device, press Ctrl+Alt+E to go to the enrollment screen.
- Enter the username and password from your Google admin welcome letter, or the username and password for an existing G Suite user on your account that has eligibility to enroll. Note: You can control which users can enroll in your domain with the Enrollment Permissions user policy. If you do not have enrollment permissions, reach out to your G Suite admin to help you get set up.
- Click Enroll device. You'll receive a confirmation message that the device has been successfully enrolled.
Once enrolled, you can find the device in your Admin console by clicking Device management > Chrome devices.
- Click into the Device Management tile.
- On the left-hand side of your screen, click Chrome management.
- Scroll down and click into App management; in the the search bar, type in “Hoopla TV” to find our app.
- Once you’ve selected the Hoopla TV app, click into app and scroll down and select Kiosk settings.
- Select the organizational unit (this is your company or organization’s name) where you want to deploy the kiosk app.
- Make sure the setting Install automatically is toggled on and click Save.
- Next, go back into Chrome Management from the Device Management tile and click into the device settings page to configure your Kiosk App to launch automatically.
- Scroll down to Kiosk Settings and in the Auto-Launch Kiosk App dropdown, select the Hoopla TV app.
- Click Save and then restart your Chromebox.
- When your Chromebox restarts, Hoopla TV will automatically launch and you will be prompted to activate the device (this will only happen the first time after installing the Hoopla app). Once you have activated your device, you are all set!