As a manager, you may want to infuse your team with some extra motivation for a short period of time. One of the best ways to do that is with some friendly competition! If you have admin permissions in Hoopla, you have the ability to initiate one-on-one challenges between Players and Teams, based on your existing Leaderboard configurations. Here's how!
How to Initiate a Faceoff
- In the admin panel, go to Configure > Challenges > Faceoffs.
- Click Initiate on the top right hand side of the screen.
- Select which Leaderboard should "host" the Faceoff. The Faceoff score will be calculated based on the primary ranking Metric of the Leaderboard you choose. A Player Leaderboard will lead to a faceoff between two players. A Team Leaderboard will lead to a faceoff between two teams.
- Select the participants for this Faceoff.
- Select the duration of the Faceoff. Optionally, you can delay the start date and time by checking the box and specifying a start time.
- Write a message to the participants. This will appear when the Faceoff is announced.
- If you are not already added as a Watcher for the Leaderboard, you will see an additional setting. Check the box labeled "Add myself as a watcher..." if you would like to monitor Faceoff activity for this Leaderboard.
- Click Initiate when you're done.
- If this Leaderboard is part of your Channel Lineup, you'll see the Faceoff announcement on TV!
- Participants will receive an email, notifying them of the new Faceoff.
Delete or Edit a Faceoff
Within the Faceoffs tile, you will see a list of all Active and Scheduled Faceoffs. Toggle between All/Active/Future in the top right hand corner to narrow down your view.
To edit or cancel a particular Faceoff, click into the Faceoff you wish to make changes to.
- If this Faceoff is scheduled for a future date/time, you may edit both the duration and the start time/date. Click Save.
- If this Faceoff is active, you may only edit the duration if the new duration ends at some point in the future. Click Save.
- You may cancel Active or Future Faceoffs by clicking the Cancel Faceoff button.
What Faceoff events are shown on TV?
If the host Leaderboard is included in your Channel Lineup, the following Faceoff events will be broadcast on that Channel:
- Faceoff initiated by the admin
- Active Faceoff scores* - while the Faceoff is active, we will display the current score periodically in your lineup
- Faceoff complete - the winner will be announced, along with the final score.
*If you don't want active Faceoff scores displayed on a channel, you may turn off Faceoff scores within Channel Configuration. Go to the Leaderboard Details in your lineup, scroll down to Advanced Settings and check the box next to "Turn off Faceoff scores on TV."
What Faceoff events are posted in the Activity Tab?
How does scoring work?
- The primary Metric on the Leaderboard on which you based your Faceoff will be used to calculate the score.
- Scores starts at 0-0 and increment each time a participant improves their value for the Metric during the Faceoff.
- A Player's/Team's total points at the end of the Faceoff will be the net difference between their score at the beginning and their score at the end.
What happens if the score is tied at the end?
- If the score is tied at the end of the original Faceoff period, the Faceoff will go into Sudden Death mode.
- The first participant to score the next point will win the Faceoff!
- Sudden death will end in a tie after an hour (for Faceoffs less than a day long) or after 24 hours (for Faceoffs 1-7 days long)