You can use a Chromebox device to run a Hoopla Channel on a TV, rather than having a dedicated Mac or Windows PC connected to each display. This low-cost solution is an easy way to deploy Hoopla across many TVs in your office.
Setting Up Your Chromebox as standalone device
If you are setting up your Chromebox for the first time continue to Step 1. If your device has already been set up, you will need to Powerwash it to before getting started. To Powerwash your device, go to Settings in the main menu. Choose options and then Advanced. Scroll down and choose Reset Setting, then Powerwash. Then follow the instructions. Note: If your device is older you may choose to update firmware when confirming that you want to Powerwash. Note: this will erase all data and restart setup.
- After starting your device, go through the process of set the language, keyboard, and connect to WiFi.
- Sign in using your Google account.
- Open a Chrome browser and go to the Webstore (https://chrome.google.com/webstore).
- Search for the HooplaTV extension and install it.*
- Launch the Hoopla app
- You will see a Hoopla screen with an Activation code. Finish activating your device in the Hoopla Admin UI and select a channel to display.
*If you purchased your device before April 2017 you may display our app in kiosk mode on a standalone device. (If you want to use the app in kiosk mode and you purchased a device after April 2017, you will require an active Google Chrome Device management license.)
Using the Hoopla app in Kiosk Mode on a standalone device
- Follow steps 1-4 in the above instructions, and then proceed below.
- n Chrome, open a new tab and type chrome://extensions in the address bar.
- Tick "Developer" mode on the top of the window.
- In the list, locate the HooplaTV App ID and copy it to the clipboard.
- Click Manage kiosk applications.
- In the "Add kiosk application" field, paste the application ID from the clipboard and press "Add".
- Now, hover over the item titled “Hoopla TV” and click on "Set to auto-launch".
- Next, restart your device and confirm that you want Hoopla TV to automatically launch.
- The Hoopla app will be launched automatically.
- You will see a Hoopla screen with an Activation code. Finish activating your device on the Hoopla Admin UI and select a channel to display.
Centrally Manage Device from your Google Suite Application
Step 1: Chrome Device License
To manage Chrome devices across your organization, you need a license for each device you want to manage. If you try to enroll your Chromebox and don’t have enough licenses, you will see an error message.
Step 2: Manually enroll Chrome device
- Turn on the Chrome device and follow the onscreen instructions until you see the sign-in screen. Don't sign in yet.
- Before signing in to the Chrome device, press Ctrl+Alt+E to go to the enrollment screen.
- Enter the username and password from your Google admin welcome letter, or the username and password for an existing G Suite user on your account that has eligibility to enroll. Note: You can control which users can enroll in your domain with the Enrollment Permissions user policy. If you do not have enrollment permissions, reach out to your G Suite admin to help you get set up.
- Click Enroll device. You'll receive a confirmation message that the device has been successfully enrolled.
Once enrolled, you can find the device in your Admin console by clicking Device management > Chrome devices.
- Click into the Device Management tile.
- On the left-hand side of your screen, click Chrome management.
- Scroll down and click into App management; in the the search bar, type in “Hoopla TV” to find our app.
- Once you’ve selected the Hoopla TV app, click into app and scroll down and select Kiosk settings.
- Select the organizational unit (this is your company or organization’s name) where you want to deploy the kiosk app.
- Make sure the setting Install automatically is toggled on and click Save.
- Next, go back into Chrome Management from the Device Management tile and click into the device settings page to configure your Kiosk App to launch automatically.
- Scroll down to Kiosk Settings and in the Auto-Launch Kiosk App dropdown, select the Hoopla TV app.
- Click Save and then restart your Chromebox.
- When your Chromebox restarts, Hoopla TV will automatically launch and you will be prompted to activate the device (this will only happen the first time after installing the Hoopla app). Once you have activated your device, you are all set!