Setting up Hoopla notifications within Microsoft Teams is a three-step process: 1) Authenticating with Microsoft Teams, 2) Adding the Hoopla App to your Microsoft Teams channel(s) and 3) Setting up MS Teams notifications within Hoopla.
Step 1: Authenticating with Microsoft Teams (within Hoopla).
- Log into your Hoopla account and navigate to the Integrations page (Configure>Integrations).
- If you have not added MS Teams to your Integrations, select Microsoft Teams from the "Add Integration" drop down on the top right hand side of the screen.
- Under Step 1 in the MS Teams integration page, click the "Authorize" button.
- Follow the prompts to log into your Microsoft account.
- Once you've successfully authorized, you'll see a message under Step 1 (Successfully authorized by...).
- Now you can proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Adding Hoopla to your Microsoft Teams Channel
Note: You must install Hoopla in all the Microsoft Teams channels that you want to share Hoopla content with.
- Under Step 2, click on the Microsoft Teams link to navigate to your Microsoft Teams account (we recommend using the Teams app within the browser, rather than the desktop app).
- Locate the Teams channel that you want to share content with.
- Hover over the channel name and click on the three dots to reveal a dropdown menu.
- From the dropdown menu, select "Connectors."
- Type "Hoopla" into the search bar and click on the "Add" button when the Hoopla app appears in the search results.
- A Hoopla app popup will then appear - click a second "Add" button at the top left of the popup.
- Next, you'll see a popup prompting you to "Connect to Hoopla." Click on the "Connect to Hoopla" button. (sit tight, this might take a few seconds to load)
- If you are not logged into Hoopla, you'll be prompted to do so in the next screen.
- Once you are logged into Hoopla. you will see an authorization screen. Click on "Authorize Application" button.
- After you have successfully authorized Hoopla, you'll see a success screen. Click on the "Finish set up in Hoopla" button.
- Now you can proceed to Step 3.
Step 3: Setting up MS Teams notifications within Hoopla.
- Within Hoopla, navigate to your Channels page (Configure>Channels & TV>Channels).
- Select the Channel you wish to send notifications from.
- Under the Notifications section, check the box next to Microsoft Teams.
- A popup box will appear, prompting you to set up Microsoft Teams notifications.
- Select which Microsoft Teams channel should receive notifications. Note: You'll only see the Microsoft Teams channels in which you have added the Hoopla app, completed in Step 2.
- Select which type of notifications you wish to send, Newsflashes, Challenges or both.
- You may configure notifications for multiple Microsoft Teams channels. To do so, click the plus button next to “Enable additional Microsoft Teams channels.”
- Once you’ve configured your Microsoft Teams notifications, click the Done button at the bottom of the box.
- Finally, click Save at the top right-hand side of the Channel details page.
Permissions: If you cannot add Hoopla to your MS Teams, here is a document on permissions from Microsoft: Manage app permission policies in Microsoft Teams.
Pro tip: You can have as many channels in Hoopla as you would like. To avoid overloading your team with notifications, choose specific notifications you would like them to receive and place those in a dedicated channel that is connected to your MS Teams channel.
**Want to put a Hoopla channel in a MS Teams tab, check out our MS Teams Integration article.