A Hoopla TV Channel is where you organize your Leaderboards, Newsflashes, and other content to make it broadcast-ready. You may want to create a unique Channel for each office or each role, or create one Channel for your whole company - it's up to you!
Configuring a Channel
- From the Configuration tab, click Channels.
- Click Add.
- Give your Channel a name. This will not appear anywhere outside the admin view.
- Optionally, add Watchers for the Channel. People and teams added as Watchers will be able to view the Channel from the Watch Channels tab when logged in to Hoopla.
- Start with the Lineup tab. Your Lineup will repeat in a loop, based on the order you've specified.
- Select from the available step types in the left-most column, and drag the ones you want on the Channel to the Lineup (middle column).
- If you have any Segments configured, you'll find them in the "Available Segments" sub-tab. You can click and drag them into your Lineup just like steps.
- Configure the display details of each step in the right-most column.
- You can reorder the items in your Lineup at any time. Just click and drag them into position.
- For more information on the different Lineup components, see this article.
- Select from the available Newsflashes in the left column, then drag the ones you want on the Channel to the middle column.
- Configure the display details for each Newsflash in the right column.
- When "Display Value" is enabled, Hoopla TV will display the player's new metric value when a Metric Newsflash is posted. This only affects Metric Newsflashes.
- Select a Transition video or image. This video will play to announce a Newsflash event.
- By default, we'll play each player's personal transition, if they've uploaded one to their profile. Otherwise, we'll play the transition you've selected. To disable custom player transitions, uncheck that setting underneath your current Transition selection.
- Select a Background video or image.
- Set a Duration - this is how long the main Newsflash will display; the duration setting does not affect the Transition.
- Advanced Settings - here, you have the option to select what kind of walk-up song you would like to use for this Newsflash. Your choices are:
- Use Player Song - the song uploaded by the recognized Player will play. If a Player does not have a profile song, no song will play.
- Use Player Song or Default - the song uploaded by the recognized Player will play. If a Player does not have a profile song, then a song of your choosing will play.
- Use Specific Song - Only a song of your choosing will play. Player songs will be ignored.
- Use No Song - no song will play during the Newsflash event. Note that the Transition may still have sound.
- Select from the available Sources on the left.
- Drag your selection to the Lineup.
- Configure the source details on the right.
Hot Tip: You can trick-out your Channel by uploading your own Custom Content!
For step-by-step instructions on how to configure a Channel, check out this video.
Broadcasting a Channel
1. Have a computer connected to a big screen TV. HDMI cables work great!
- On that computer, open Chrome and navigate to https://tv.hoopla.net.
- Take note of the activation code shown on the screen.
- In the Hoopla admin console, go to Configuration > TV Displays and click Activate. Enter the activation code and a name for the device, then assign a Channel; save.
- In the Chrome toolbar, click View > Enter Presentation Mode to go full-screen.
- Ensure that the computer's settings are adjusted to avoid the computer or display from going to sleep.
What hardware is required to broadcast Hoopla TV?
Please check out this article for our hardware recommendations.